Though DevOps is a relatively new concept, it has gained tremendous hype across the digital technology world.
It excites not only geeks but also the businesses who are looking forward to build web apps or mobile solutions by leveraging the shorten software development life cycle of DevOps.
Still, most of the businesses are not aware of the role and importance of DevOps due to lack of understanding of the concept. They are keen to learn everything about DevOps in order to improve time-to-market of the software through extensive automation. It has transformed the process of software development through effective integration development and operations.
There is a vast difference between the IT service providers who develop software following conventional methods and DevOps practices. Considering philosophy, advanced tools and industry best practices of DevOps, IT companies can develop software and deliver services at a faster pace.
Being a DevOps as a Service provider, Credencys has successfully developed and delivered robust solutions following DevOps defined practices. To accelerate software development processes, we work with the industry-leading DevOps tools.
Let’s dive into the role and importance of each tool in the automation of the software development process.
31 DevOps Tools & Technologies for Effective Implementation of DevOps
Infrastructure Deployment and Configuration
Ansible is an easy-to-use, fast and lightweight configuration management tool that allows for infrastructure configuration and automated deployment. It uses the simple YAML to define the tasks and follows Infrastructure as Code (IAC) approach.
It offers a simple way to automate IT by automating the entire software development lifecycle. Ansible makes it easier for DevOps teams to speed up productivity and scale the automation.
Important Features of Ansible
- An open source tool allows for easy deployment of the apps
- The simplified software development process
- Teams can eliminate repetitive tasks through IT automation and focus more on accomplishing strategic work
- Ideal tool for small teams to speed up the development process and manage complex deployment effectively
Chef is another open source tool that improves DevOps processes as well as increases consistency and speed of the tasks. DevOps engineers can scale the tasks with relative ease. It allows to complete the complex tasks easily by offering automation for different jobs.
Being a cloud-based system, it can be accessed through any device, and at any time and place. It helps developers to leverage consistency, speed, and scalability. The only drawback of Chef is, it might be unavailable if there any server issue.
Important Features of Chef
- Accelerate cloud adoption
- Support multiple platforms such as FreeBSD, RHEL/CentOS, AIX, and more.
- Manage multiple cloud environments
- Manage data center effectively
- Allows to control your infrastructure
Puppet allows enterprises to manage the entire infrastructure as code without enlarging the team size. The tool eliminates manual work and accelerates the software delivery process. It automates the methods of inspecting, delivering and operating the software in order to reach to the delivery deadline quickly and securely.
It allows small teams to manage large scale projects effectively. Moreover, DevOps teams can manage multiple coding and many other resources in the Puppet.
Important Features of Puppet
- Integrates seamlessly with most of the DevOps tools
- Visual workflow and intelligent orchestration
- Manage and model entire infrastructure
- Provides node management, access control delineated by role and real-time report
SaltStack is a lightweight DevOps tool that provides error queries, real-time logs, and many other services directly into workstations. This tool is the best orchestration for the software-defined data center.
Important Features of SaltStack
- Elimination of messy code and configuration changes
- Provide high-standards of security with security scanning, security policies, integrated secret management, and automatic TLS
- Trace details of all types of the web request
- Integrated container management manages all resources and users of Docker center in a unified web admin user interface
- It provides secure multi-tenancy with granular Role-based Access Control
Versioning & Source Code Management
GitHub is the best repository hosting service of Git, the most popular DevOps tool. It is widely used across the software development industry and loved by the open source contributors and remote team due to its distributed SCM (Source Code Management). GitHub is an ideal solution for many projects that requires access to public repositories.
Important Features of GitHub
- Leverage seamless code reviews for better coding
- Manage the development and operations teams by establishing a powerful communication channel
- All Open Source, Private, or Public repositories are quipped with GitHub to host, version and release the code
It is also an essential part of Git. Bitbucket provides access to free unlimited private repositories for the small team having up to five members. It is widely used for code review. It has three deployment models that involve Data Server, Cloud, and BitBucket Server.
Important Features of BitBucket
- Integration of REST APIs to develop 3rd party applications that are developed using any programming language
- Allows for smart monitoring, issue tracking, merge checks, and IP whitelisting
- Effective documentation that contains an automatic rendering of README files available in a variety of Markdown-like file format
- Developers can share code files or segments using Snippets
It is an internal management solution of Git that allows to manage the DevOps life cycle through a web-based engine. It allows to manage the entire software development lifecycle starts from project planning, source code management, extended CI/CD pipeline, security, and monitoring from a single application.
The established features of GitLab are planning, development, management, configuration, verification, monitoring, packaging, release, security, and defense. Thus, the tool improves software development life cycle that is twice as fast.
Important Features of GitLab
- Accessible through the GitLab open-source license
- Update and/or expand the functionality
- The DevOps tool allows for Git repository management, code review, wikis, activity feeds and issue tracking
Subversion is used for source and version control developed by the Apache Foundation. The tool allows to create your own repository and perform all operations related to version and source control. It is a centralized HUB of repositories that allows developers to save their code on a specific version.
Important Features of Subversion
- Allows to create versions for individual files and folders
- It allows to implement new network functions
- Engineers can commit and create changes as self-contained and atomic units
- Tags and branches are created quickly and effectively
It is a development tool that allows programmers to create code using C++, Java, and Python programming language. It is an ideal alternative of Apache Ant and Maven. Gradle is supported by IntelliJ IDEA, Netbeans and Eclipse as well as used as an official build tool in Android Studio by Google.
Important Features of Gradle
- Groovy-based DSL
- 100 time faster than Maven and the increase in speed own to Gradle’s daemon and build cache
- Maven user should be familiar with GWorkspace
Jenkins, a DevOps Automation tool, is a customizable and versatile open source CI/CD server. It provides proper instructions to the users to perform many of the time consuming and the most tedious tasks. It allows users to isolate specific issues and manage difficult projects efficiently.
Important Features of Jankins
- It runs seamlessly on Windows, MacOS X, and Linux
- The tool allows for plugin integration or custom configuration
- Monitor execution of repeated tasks
- Integrate project changes easily by finding the issue quickly
Maven is a build automation tool that is used for project documentation, build and dependency. The tool simplifies the build process by describing how software is built and what are its dependencies.
Important Features of Maven
- Packaging the results into RPM’s, JAR’s, WAR’s, and so on
- Compilation of source code
- Upload the packages to remote repositories
- Running functional tests and unit tests
#12. Visual Studio
It is an integrated development environment developed by Microsoft. It allows to build applications for both the web and computer programs. Visual Studio is the best solution for various web uses such as website & web application related services and mobile technology. It is available to the developers and services in any language and on any platform.
Important Features of Visual Studio
- Supported by 36 programming languages
- Windows availability involves Silverlight, Forms, API, Presentation Foundation, and Store
- App center of Visual Studio provides continuous learning, integration, and delivery
- Advanced code debugging and editing for all operating systems
Bamboo, a CI/CD server solution, works from the code phase of continuous integration, deployment, and delivery. It is available in a variety of languages and compatible with different tools such as Fisheye, Jira Software, Crucible and many more. Moreover, it offers a lot of functionality.
Important Features of Bamboo
- User-friendly and intuitive user interface
- Easy integration with branching versions through Mercurial and Git
- Allows the team leader to save development hours and cost
- Using pre-built functionalities, bamboo’s automation pipeline takes less time for configuration
It is a Java-based build management and continuous integration server developed by JetBrains. Offering on the fly build progress reporting that allows users to discover the quality of build on an on-going basis and not after finishing it. TeamCity keeps your code base clean at all the time by allowing to check build and run automated tests on the server before committing any change.
Important Features of TeamCity
- 3 build agents
- 100 build configuration
- Public issue tracker and forum
TestRail, a DevOps tool for continuous delivery, allows to track and manage the software testing efforts and simplify the tasks of your QA department. Being a web-based interface, it allows to create the test, manage test runs and streamline your entire testing process.
Important Features of TestRail
- Get real-time insights about the testing progress
- Personalized to-do list, email notifications, filters help engineers boost their productivity
- Track the status of projects, individual tests, and milestones through dashboard and activity reports
It is a test automation tool based on behavior-driven development (BDD) framework. The tool is used by software programmers, for writing acceptance criteria of the web application. Cucumber is written using the Ruby programming language. The tool rung automated acceptance tests created in behavior driven development style.
Important Features of Cucumber
- Manage tests, specifications, and documentation in the same document
- IT and businesses collaborate to build a shared understanding of the organizational goals
You can use RSpec, an automated testing framework, for all Ruby applications. The behavior-driven development tool allows to conduct Feature, Functional and Unit testings. It is composed of multiple libraries that are designed to work coherently and can work independently with varied testing tools such as Minitest and Cucumber.
It is the most popular DevOps tool and specifically designed to support automated testing across different browsers.
Important Features of Selenium
- Compared to other testing tools, Selenium requires fewer resources
- Allowing for parallel test execution, it reduces the test execution time
- Test cases that are prepared using the Selenium can be executed on any Operating System
#19. Telerik Test Studio
Test Studio is the latest test automation tool developed by Telerik. It connects to the varied source control system in order to execute Continuous Testing. It allows the teams to schedule the tests, execute testings on-going basis, and access robust test reports.
Telerik Test Studio allows DevOps teams to apply different type of testings such as Functional Testing, RESTful Testing, Performance Testing, Mobile Testing, and Load Testing.
QTP (Quick Test Professional) is a Functional Automation Testing tool. Engineers can automate the functionality of the application by developing scripts and recording the actions. It offers regression and functional automation for software environments and applications.
Important Features of QTP
- The automated testing tool allows to test web-based and desktop applications
- QTP helps the testers to perform uninterrupted automated functional testing
- It supports a wide variety of software development environments such as Oracle, SAP, etc.
- This tool allows to perform Business Process Testing
It is a highly functional and well-designed automated tool. It can be used for web, mobile, and desktop-based software testing. It is a keyword-driven and data-driven DevOps tool for testing.
Important Features of TestComplete
- Record and playback tasks
- Update and detect UI objects
- Recognization of the objects
- It can be integrated with Jenkins
It is a powerful DevOps tool that delivers a convenient and simple form of application packaging and automated certain IT processes. It helps both the teams to focus on their respective priorities. Operation team creates containers with all the needed configuration and dependencies. On the other hand, the development team creates efficient coding for applications that can be easily deployed.
Docker makes distributed development easy and automates app deployment. Dependency management is quite easy as the tool can package dependencies. Moreover, it offers integrated container security and agile operations for legacy and cloud-native applications.
Important Features of Docker
- Built-in support by AWS and Google Cloud
- Docker containers are platform independent with a virtual machine environment
- It supports all new and existing applications
- Automated and secure supply chain to decrease time to value
This tool is developed around the concept of automation. It can be used with other management tools and allows to create a virtual machine environment in the same workflow. It provides a better environment for the DevOps team for continuous development.
Important Features of Vagrant
It can be integrated and used with other tools such as Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc.
Vagrant is also compatible with different Operating Systems like Windows, Linux, and Mac
The DevOps tool enables development and operation teams with monitoring and operation management whether they are the part of a startup, mid-sized enterprise, and large scale organization. Ruxit allows companies to manage their data centers, application environment and server in a better way using proprietary artificial intelligence.
AppDynamics is a renowned application performance management solution that provides detailed information to solve the problem by using an analytics-driven approach and APM tools. It is one of the ideal performance optimization tools that provides dashboard, focused analytics, alerts, and reporting for IT professionals and businesses.
Important Features of AppDynamics
- Continuous monitoring in a high-volume environment
- Mobile and Browser real-user monitoring
- Server-level and code-level visibility
- Powerful alerting and dynamic baselining
- Troubleshooting of [performance issues during the production phase
#27. New Relic
Both the teams can view all the changes happened in an application on one platform by adopting the New Relic.
The team can have all the information, they require to run everything in a way that works for everyone.
Important Features of New Relic
- DevOps teams to fix problems using this tool
- New Relic accelerates the deployment cycle
- It takes care of other tasks fall under the DevOps
#28. Stackify Retrace
It is one of the most efficient DevOps tools that are specifically designed for developers to optimize the application performance in the QA phase and retrace issues in the application in production stage by tracing the all the code level transactions. It is an easy to use and quite affordable tool for all sizes of development teams.
Important Features of Stackify Retrace
- SaaS-based tool
- Integrated log and error management
- The DevOps tool offers server monitoring and application metrics
VerisonOne enables teams and organizations with a wide range of editions to meet their changing needs as per the progress in software development through the different stages. It is an all-in-one project management tool that helps catalyst to automate planning, tracking and reporting in order to improve progress visibility across the projects.
This tool is an all-in-one agile management suite that supports the scaled agile software development from scratch. AgileCraft is the world’s first project management solution that brings software development and business together on an intuitive platform.
Important Features of AgileCraft
- Bringing business and technologies together in real-time
- A single source to track the development progress, value delivered, and customer feedback to keep DevOps team aligned with the ultimate outcome
- Find consequences on roadmaps, dependencies, and scope across the portfolios and teams
It is a widely used project management tool that tracks issues and bugs related to mobile and web applications.
JIRA allows the development and operation teams to plan, track and release the high-quality software quickly.
Important Features JIRA
- Scrum Boards & Kanban Boards
- Agile Reporting
- Developer tool integration to leverage end-to-end tracing
- Create custom filters and workflow
DevOps tools help businesses and IT professionals to automate the technical processes for web or mobile application development.Being an early adopter of DevOps as a Service, Credencys uses all the above-mentioned tools. Get in touch with our experts to know more about how our DevOps engineers incorporate these tools in order to build and deliver software quickly by maintaining high-quality standards.
1) What are some of the best DevOps practices?
Best DevOps practices are Agile development, continuous integration, continuous delivery, automation testing, proactive monitoring, improved collaboration.
2) How do I choose DevOps Tools?
You must choose the tools that allow you to perform the following actions:
- Collaborate on vision and design
- Staging environments for development
- Create infrastructure as code
- Foster collaborative coding
- Perform automation testing
- Release dashboards
- Support automatic deployment
- Allow you to add enhancements into your existing product
3) How do DevOps tools work together?
Using an integrated tool ecosystem, project managers can create a DevOps workflow based on business logic and automate the data movement across tool systems.
4) How do I start implementing DevOps?
You can start implementing DevOps in five simple steps:
- Start implementing DevOps techniques in small projects
- Create a culture of learning and experimentation
- Engineer adaptivity and resilience
- Get buy-in from all teams
- Remove the blame culture